Welcome to the Youth Department at the Southfield Public Library!
Located on the first floor of the Southfield Public Library, we offer 35 general-use computers, four group study rooms, early literacy computers, a fun Space-themed Program Room, and a Dragon!
Our goal is to provide children and their caregivers with intellectual and entertaining resources and materials that help children in the Southfield community, and beyond, succeed.
Books, Movies and Music!
We have several different print and electronic (e-book) collections to serve our patrons at all levels of literacy. And, with a Southfield Library Card and an internet connection, patrons can access thousands of e-books, movies, and music even when our doors are closed!
Our Collections Include:
- Juvenile Non-Fiction Collection
- Picture Books (JE Collection)
- Storybooks to read with your little one (these are housed in our Picture Book Castle. Grab a story, take a seat on the throne and read to your hearts content – just don’t wake Slumber, our resident dragon!)
- Reader Books (JE Reader Collection) – Perfect books for our newest readers, this collection is marked with red spine labels and features all of your child’s favorite characters.
- Early Chapter Book Readers (J Paperback Collection)
- Juvenile Fiction (J Fiction) – our fiction collection for children reading between a 2nd and 6 grade level
- Young People Fiction (YP Fiction) – Fiction novels for those reading between a 7th and 9th grade reading level
- Juvenile Graphic Novels (J Paperback Collection) – Graphic novels and comic books for younger readers
- J Paperback Collection – Softcover or paperback copies of Juvenile and Young People fiction books
- Young Adult Fiction (YA Collection) – Novels written for teens
- Young Adult Non-Fiction (YA NF Collection) – A more in depth looks at non-fiction topics written for older readers
- Young Adult Graphic Novels (YA GN Collection) – Comic, Manga and Graphic Novels written for teenage readers
- Juvenile Feature DVD (JDVD Collection) – Feature films and television series for children on DVD or BLU Ray
- Juvenile Non-Fiction DVD – Informational and documentaries for children
- Audiobooks and Playaways – Recorded versions for popular fiction and non-fiction tiles available on CD or as a self-contained player
- Young Adult DVD (YA DVD Collection) – Feature films and documentaries for a teen audience
- Young Adult CD (YA CD)
Programs and Events
Throughout the year the Youth Department hosts a variety of programs designed to entertain and educate children of all ages, such as storytimes, author appearances, craft sessions, play groups, puppet shows, movies, and our long-running Battle of the Books contest and annual Summer Reading Program.
Battle of the Books
For many years, we’ve hosted an annual reading contest for upper elementary and middle school age children. Each year, children form teams, read selected books and answer trivia questions about the reading.
Summer Reading Program
Each summer we encourage kids to read by participating in our Summer Reading Program. Kids enjoy events revolving around a theme and track their reading — and the program ends with a big summer event that celebrates reading, summertime, and great Library times.
For all the programs we offer to both kids and their caregivers, check out our Youth Event Calendar, here.