Using the Library’s Catalog:
The Southfield Public Library’s Catalog can be accessed by clicking on the menu bar, at the bottom of the homepage under the heading “Quick Links.” or by direct web address at http://encore.southfieldlibrary.org/iii/encore/home?lang=eng.
Our Catalog works using one or more keywords. You do not need to type in a full sentence. Simply type:
- related word(s),
- a subject,
- the author’s name (first name first, or last name first),
- a partial or exact title of book, cd, or movie,
you are looking for, click on the gray arrow or press ENTER on your keyboard, and the Catalog will list relevant results.
The Catalog’s default is to list the results in order of relevance, but you may also choose to look at the results based on date (newest to oldest, or vice versa) or numerically/alphabetically by title).
Once you have searched the Catalog, the left hand side will display tools to refine your search based on various categories that are organized by:
- availability at the library,
- language, and
- place of origin.
This “refines” your search, for example, by limiting the results to the first or second/third floors, video versus printed materials, and English language. Instead of sorting through over one hundred results, you can then browse through 30 or less.
Once you have found your item, select the title as it is a hyperlink to the page of the actual item’s information, including whether it is available for you to pick up, where it is located in the Library, and details describing its content and author(s).
(TIP: Items that are currently checked out may be placed on hold by phone ONLY; call us at (248) 796-4200)
- Call the Library and speak with a Librarian for assistance at (248) 796-4200.
- Click on the purple and white M@L icon. It will take you to the Michigan eLibrary catalog, which is a compiled list of books and other items available to you as a resident of Michigan and a resident Library cardholder of SPL. If an item is available in Mel.org you may request it by clicking on “Get This for Me” and following the prompts. Items unavailable in Mel.org are not requestable.
- Search through our Digital Library. Overdrive and hoopla may have the item in electronic format for you to access. https://southfieldlibrary.org/digital-library/
- Search through our Research Sources at https://southfieldlibrary.org/research-sources/. Sometimes books are available in select databases, such as ABC-CLIO Reference Online, EBSCO eBook Collection, or Gale Virtual Reference Library.