Welcome to Battle of the Books 2020!
This is your one stop for all things Southfield Battle 2020, with links to all the important stuff right here!
Battle of the Books is a program designed to encourage reading and to give recognition to those who like to read. Students form teams with an adult manager(s), read from a selected list of books and then participate in a contest where they will compete with other teams by answering questions based on those books.
Battle of the Books
All 4th – 8th graders who live or attend school in Southfield or Lathrup Village are eligible to participate. Each team must consist of 2 – 6 members and 1 or 2 adult Team Manager(s). It is not necessary for team members to attend the same school. Each Battle will be limited to the first 60 teams who register.
The Team Manager and/or Co-Manager may be a parent, teacher or other interested adult who will serve as the contact person between the team and the Southfield Public Library. All Team Managers must attend the Kick-Off meeting and the Manager’s Update meeting.
Registration begins Monday, November 4th. Register online (below) or at the Youth Services Desk on the first floor.
Battle Books Titles Announced and Available – Monday, November 4, 2019
Battle Kick-Off Meeting – Monday, December 2, 2019 – 7 p.m.
Battle Update Meeting – Monday, February 3, 2020
4th and 5th Grade Battle of the Books – Wednesday, March 18, 2020
Middle School Challenge – Thursday, March 19, 2020
Battle of the Books 2020 – Book Titles
- Me, Frida and the Secret of the Peacock Ring (Angela Cervantes)
- Dragons In a Bag (Zetta Elliot)
- The Doughnut Fix (Jessie Janowitz)
- The Royal Rabbits of London (Santa and Simon Montifore)
- Dactyl Hill Squad (Daniel Jose Older)
- Wild Weather: Storms, Meteorology, and Climate (MK Reed and Jonathan Hill)
Middle School Challenge
Battle of the Books 2020 Middle School Challenge – Book Titles
- Booked (Kwame Alexander)
- Sanity and Tallulah (Molly Brooks)
- Greetings From Witness Protection (Jake Burt)
- Stella by Starlight (Sharon Draper)
- Some Kind of Courage (Dan Gemeinhart)
- The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl: Squirrel Meets World (Shannon Hale & Dean Hale)
- Slider (Pete Hautman)
- Lincoln’s Grave Robbers (Steve Sheinkin)