Library hours are:
- Mondays & Wednesdays: 1 p.m. – 9 p.m.
- Tuesdays & Thursdays: 9:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- Fridays: 1 p.m. – 5 p.m.
- Saturdays: 9:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- Sundays: 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. (from September – May)
(A reduction in Library hours was made in September, 2012 due to property tax revenue decreases).
Expanded Library Hours Beginning Monday, June 3rd, 2019:
Monday: 1:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
Tuesday: 10:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.
Wednesday: 10:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.
Thursday: 10:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.
Friday: 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Saturday: 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Sunday (September – May): 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
What is ahead?
Beyond working to reduce the budget, we are researching grants and other avenues of revenue. However, until property values increase, things will remain difficult. We are making these changes in order to continue to be your Library for years to come.
Why are the changes necessary?
Library revenues have been declining for the past few years due to decreasing property tax revenue. We have lost over 30% of our revenues and estimates indicate they will continue to drop for at least another two years before leveling off.
In order to balance the budget without tapping further into our savings, we must reduce services, programs, staff hours and the number of hours that that library is open.
We know that it is inconvenient to lose any hours of service. Therefore, we have carefully reviewed how people use the library and we have chosen the least disruptive options.
How Can You Help?
- Contact your legislators and tell them how you use the Library. Let them know that libraries are important to you. Ask them to support stable new funding for libraries.
- Join the Friends of the Southfield Public Library here. The Friends of the Southfield Public Library are a group of Library supporters who enhance the services the Library is able to provide.
- Donate funds to plate a book in honor or in memory of someone you love. Funds go toward purchasing new materials for the library. Find out more at www.southfieldlibrary.org/bookplate.
- Sponsor your favorite library program. Find out more at www.southfieldlibrary.org/sponsorship.
- Donate your gently used books to the Friends of the Southfield Public Library.
- Make a tax-deductable contribution to the Southfield Public Library.
- Help us decrease wait times at the circulation desk by having your library card ready, bringing back your materials on time or even early, renewing items online and signing up for email notifications.
If you have further questions feel free to contact:
City Librarian David Ewick
email@example.com or (248) 796-4300.