Purpose of this Policy: to describe the Library’s method and criteria in choosing web-based resources to include on the Library’s web site.
The Southfield Public Library maintains a Web Site on the World Wide Web to meet the general informational, educational, and recreational needs of the Library’s community.
Links to World Wide Web sites from the Library’s Web Site are selected to broaden, enrich, and complement the Library’s print and audio-visual collections. Sites are evaluated according to their credibility, quality, and usefulness.
Selection of World Wide Web sites linked from the Library’s Web Site are based on reviews and recommendations in sources such as Internet World, Online, Library Journal, and School Library Journal.
Factors considered when evaluating sites for selection include the following:
- Stability of site
- No fees required (except for purchased information sources)
- Consistently available
- Well organized
- Clear instructions
- Easy to use
- Uncluttered and cleanly designed
- Graphics that enhance the content
- Authority and competence of the author
- Documented, accurate, verifiable
- Timely and updated regularly
- Appropriateness of subject matter in relation to library policy & community standards
- Satisfies community requests and/or anticipated public demand
Linked sites will be reviewed periodically for access, design, and content. If a site no longer meets Library selection criteria it will be removed.
The Southfield Public Library Web Site will continue to evolve in response to the ever-changing nature of the Internet. This policy will be reviewed and revised by Library staff on a regular basis.
Date of this revision: 8/15/07